Monday, March 30, 2009

Some thoughts about the last week and a half…

Last week was pretty much the week of school work, so I spent my life buried in my computer trying to finish a big paper, create a presentation, and write an Independent Study Project and fill out all the forms. I did in fact finish, miraculously, which is good. The owners of the hostel we’re staying think we’re crazy, because all we did all week long was write papers, but whatever.

Saturday, we helped out with Durban’s first Relay for Life. We were sort of volunteered without a lot of choice by Christine, our program director’s wife, who is a cancer survivor. It ended up to be pretty fun however. I was expecting it to be kind of like BC’s relay for life, and just as poorly organized, if not worse (sorry BC, I’m sure you did better this year :-P). Wrong. The event was enormous- there were over 90 teams, and a ridiculous number of people there. There were 60 or so other volunteers, not including the 11 of us that went. It was kind of crazy though, because it was at this enormously huge rich high school that was bigger and more ridiculous than BC, which makes you a little sick when you’ve been hanging out in brick buildings without no running water and pit latrines, which the government builds for rural areas. But, they raised a ton of money for cancer, and we met some interesting people. I spent Sat. afternoon parking cars- a large number of people complained about having to park their BMWs and Audis in a field, which really annoyed me- but otherwise people were really nice, and they did a really good job with the relay itself. And then we sold coffee, tea, water, and muffins all night long, and cleaned up in the morning. There was a crazy lightning storm in the middle of the night (we were outdoors), which was so cool, because South Africa lightning is crazy, and sometimes goes sideways and turns the sky purple. And the rain never came, so that was really good.


I’m leaving Wednesday afternoon/evening to go to Bhekuzulu, where I’m doing my Independent Study Project. I think I finally have everything set. I am getting picked up in Durban, and driving the 50 or so K to Bhekuzulu, a really small rural village. I’m living with a woman named Fezile Hadebe, who is the program director. I actually have no idea what I will be doing, but I sincerely hope it involves playing with children. I also am hoping Fezile has kids, but we’ll see. I’ll be there until April 24th, at which point I’ll come back to Durban and write another paper. I have no idea what internet is like that rural, so you may or may not hear from me between now and then.


That's about all that's new. Also, much as I love receiving mail, don’t send me any more real mail, because it likely won’t get here between now and when I leave, because this country hasn’t really got its act together as far as the postal service goes.

3 comments:

  1. kara! great to hear from you again. I definitely think we are experiencing south africa in different ways! especially politics. the phenomenon of jacob zuma is really quite fascinating, especially hearing the opinions of people from really diverse backgrounds. but the election is fascinating to learn about, hey?

    i really hope that your trip goes well! I can't wait to hear more about it and what you are doing and what kind of work they do there.

    miss you love. i wonder if we can work out seeing each other ... !?

    love love!!!

    p.s. just posted on my blog as well with lots of pictures!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara! Relay for Life- that's fun! I would love to see a South African lightning storm. We had a beautiful one here the other day, but I imagine not quite as impressive.

    Also, I did send you one last letter. I wasn't sure if it would get to you and now I suppose it'll just float around South Africa (which is kind of a neat thought! A little piece of me in South Africa!). Be safe! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for details, but I think it's sweet you were dealing in South African Muffins b/c in India, all the coffee shops that sorta resembled the West and made me think of home were run by South Africans. And they had muffins there, legit muffins. I was so happy!

    And relay for life, whodda thunk it?!

    ReplyDelete