Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hi friends and family!

I am back in Durban, sadly. I said good bye and left Bhekuzulu yesterday morning, and got picked up to come back and write my independent study project, which I am not overly excited about. It was incredibly nice to take a shower and buy real sort-of-american tasting food last night, but now I get to spend all weekend writing a paper. I’m actually almost done in South Africa- this week is all about this paper, we’ll be presenting our papers this weekend (since when is it okay to have school on a Sunday? Its almost worse than BC’s Saturday evening final policy. Well, maybe not really, but it’s close). Monday we leave to drive somewhere, and somehow end up at a game park on Wed. where they promised me I would see an elephant (i might not leave if I don't see one, seriously), and then we fly out to America that Thursday.


The last three month or so has been really good- I loved living in a village, and the organization I was working definitely had some problems, but was pretty cool. Wed. was election day. Tuesday night, the US government was kind enough to send me an email telling me not to travel to Estcourt, among other places, or it’s surrounding villages, because there could be violence. Thanks America. Fortunately, there was no violence, but I felt pretty adventurous being somewhere I shouldn’t be.


Here's some pictures from the last month now that my internet is working:


This is Madlebe. Amadlebe are ears in Zulu, and as you can see, she has huge ears. She was really cute, and if it weren't impossible to bring flee-bitten unregistered dogs to America, I probably would have.

This was from Easter. I'm standing on the top of a mountain after a really long hike. It was beautiful

Another picture from the hike.

This is me in front of the house where I lived. My door is the one in the back. Notabo (in the orange) was the daughter of one of the workers at BSSP, and Nodofu, who was five, really cute, and totally crazy, is her cousin or something.

Election day! Me and some random people who are really excited about Jacob Zuma. The girl on the left works at the centre, and I have no idea who the man is, but he was wearing a Zuma sign.

i
My favorite creche baby! Her name is Nqo, and she's really cute. She also has a family, so unfortunately I couldn't take her with me.



Creche babies eating breakfast. They are much cuter than this picture does justice.

4 comments:

  1. 1) SO CUTE!!!!
    2) Yay for being in a foreign country during elections!!!
    3) yeah, weekend classes are a b*&$@!
    4) Not need to worry about the transition back to the states so much. It's supposed to hit 92 today in Boston today. (it was 8:30 when I stepped outside and I was already sticky and sweating by the time I hit bapst.) Maybe by next week we'll hit 100! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi. 9 days btw:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very excited for your impending return. Just an fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay pictureeeessss woooo i love them. that hike looks BAMF.

    also, who writes emails from america? that would be a cool job. what do you do? i write emails from america.

    ReplyDelete